Dundas Street United Church
285 Dundas St, Woodstock ON N4S 1B3
"God Lives In Us!"
A Place to Belong...
Where God makes A Difference,
and We Make A Difference in the Name of God!
Currently, there is one open position that we are looking to hire an individual to grow with us on our faith based journey.
- a Child / Youth / Family Outreach Resource Leader is required to help us teach and spread the love of Jesus within our congregation and the
If you're interested in the position, please see our website www.dundasstunitedchurch.ca for further details and contact information.
Job Description, Child, Youth & Family Outreach Ministries
Dundas Street United Church
Congregational Designated Minister Position
Child/Youth/Family Outreach Resource Leader
Job Purpose: To provide leadership, co-ordinate resources and support existing programs, in order to facilitate and encourage the faith and development of the children and youth of DSUC, as well as young families and those affiliated with our church through our family based outreach programs.
Duties & Responsibilities
- attendance at Sunday worship.
- passionate about child/youth ministry and open to living out this ministry in new and creative ways!
- strong organizational skills.
- excellent communication skills and ability to utilize whatever social media resources are relevant to connect with our youth and young families.
- willingness to work in a team environment and ability to multi – task.
- ability to recognize, facilitate, encourage the gifts of our children/youth as well as the volunteers who are currently in ministry with them.
- regularly visit with our youth and develop healthy relationships with our youth and volunteers.
- prefer background in the United Church of Canada and understanding of our church as well as an ability to articulate faith.
- willingness to engage in constructive feedback with our children/youth and volunteer base, identifying conflicts and working through them in a positive, life giving manner..
- awareness of child/adolescent development as it relates to faith.
- current police reference check with vulnerable sector screening.
- must have a valid Ontario’s driver’s license.
- oversight of the youth ministry budget re: programming, curriculum etc.
- attend monthly Church Board meetings and prepare a monthly report re: activities, planning etc.
Hours of Work
- this contract position will be 10 hours/week and work hours vary, depending on the program needs/demands.
- outline of hours currently identified are approximate and will fluctuate with the program needs and volunteer base.
Coordinator for Sunday School Teachers & Nursery Program
- approximately 4 hours/week.
- researching/ordering curriculum for classes & reviewing it with teachers.
- ensuring there are teachers for each week – organizing a regular schedule.
- providing ongoing support for our Sunday School teachers through regular contact, problem solving, support and encouragement.
- teaching in a class on a regular basis unless there are enough teachers and then will assume a coordinating, supportive role.
- organizing and facilitating gatherings with teachers at least quarterly.
- organizing a schedule for those volunteering for nursery program.
Leader for Youth Group
- 1 hour preparation and 2 hours bi-weekly organizing and facilitating our Youth Group in conjunction with a volunteer from the congregation.
- usually meet with youth to plan activities – often an community based activity with a time before or after to check in and provide support/encouragement to one another.
Coordinator for Dundas Kids Love Summer!
- this was a pilot project during the summer of 2019 as an alternative to a week long VBS program.
- planned 1 evening/week for 4 weeks in conjunction with the minister and with a volunteer base to facilitate activities etc.
- group was for 1.5 hours with preparation and clean up time as well.
- this was a summer program (no youth group meeting or Fantastic Friday programming)
- outreach program includes families from our church, as well as a number of families who do not attend church.
- usually offered the first Friday of the month from 6:30 – 8 pm.
- meet with minister to plan a theme.
- organize crafts/activities/snacks relevant to the theme.
- develop and work with a volunteer base (folks who are responsible for a craft or activity centre as well as a snack person)
- approximately 6 hours/month.
- minister usually leads with a Bible story that is acted out and then Youth Resource Leader coordinates the activities component.
- Youth Resource Leader utilizes a list of interested folks to connect/contact them beforehand re: date and theme.
- outreach program includes families/individuals from our church as well as those who don’t attend church.
- usually offered on a Friday evening from 6:30 – 8 pm.
- informal evening of bingo and /or board games with silly prizes and a great deal of laughter!
- pizza and pop are purchased and sold.
- volunteer base to assist with this program.
- approximately 3 hours/month
- the Child/Youth/Family Outreach Resource Leader will provide a monthly time sheet to the Minister and a copy to the Church Administrator.
- the position is accountable to the Minister at DSUC and the JOY Board of DSUC(to be delegated to our Ministry & Personnel Committee) for fulfilling the expectations of the job description as outlined
- the Child/Youth/Family Outreach Leader will meet on a monthly basis with the Minister for ongoing supervision, program review etc. (or more often, as the need arises)
Time Off - time off/vacation will be negotiated on a pro-rated basis.
Other - must be able to work independently ( an office is available but welcome to work from home if more desirable)