The Dundas Street United Church Story
The following are some of the significant dates and events in the history of Dundas St. United Church:
1884 – Central Methodist Church Quarterly Board felt the need to establish a church in the west end of Woodstock. A lot was purchased on the north side of Dundas Street, between Oxford and Winniett Streets. A building was erected on this site and was known as the “West End Mission”.
1888 - The congregation has grown and now need for a larger building to worship in. A lot is purchased on the northeast corner of Dundas and Oxford Streets – which is the current site of the church.
1890 - The building is completed and dedication of the new church building takes place on May 4th.
1925 - Dundas Street Methodist Church became Dundas Street United Church and there were special services held to celebrate the occasion.
2005- An accompaniment program was instigated through Rev. Bev Robinson from London Conference. Rev. John Brown joined Dundas Street United as Minister, while a search began for a new minister. This marked the 25th year for the Christmas Place, an outreach program established by Valerie Drane, a long time church member.
2006- There was a change of board structure from Session and Stewards to Governance and Committees. Pam Wilcox was hired as the staff associate. Angel Breakfast - a Saturday morning breakfast mission begins. It is a huge success, serving 60-100 people each week.
2007- Rev. Bonnie Pilkey joined Dundas Street as the new minister.